Why I Am Going Back to Film Photography

The problem is that digital photography is just too easy. A saying that often proves true is; "if it's free, it probably isn't worth having", and that's digital photography. Sure it has many benefits when used as a component of modern communications (emailing, web graphics, auction selling, etc), but the fun of photography for photography's sake has been lost. The technology of digital imaging has largely removed the need to think and plan ahead: we now blindly point our cameras and click as the mood take us, simply because we can.

We no longer need to hump bulky bags of lenses, and are not required to make any special effort to prepare our cameras for use (like buying and loading films), yet I seldom make the effort to take my digital camera on life's everyday adventures; as I once did habitually. Sadly, the consequence is that I have no snap-shots of the mundane events of recent times. There is nothing solid to supplement the memories in my mind.

Our digital photos are stored electronically, and only become "physical" if we commit to print. But this step involves cost, which is somewhat counter to the digital ethos, and not undertaken routinely. We can delete all that is imperfect or ephemeral at the click of a button, and the memories - once immortalised on film - are lost forever.

Looking at my old photos made me smile, and caused me to recall how I had used film to memorialise my day-to-day life. I made an effort to take a camera on trips, and to events. I took the time to record the places I had seen, the things I had done, and the people I was with. I carefully considered my shots, and strived not to waste the finite number of exposures available to me. Film photography presented an inbuilt driver to do a good job of shooting frames.

Waiting for films to be developed provided both anticipation and excitement. Picking-up your prints from the Chemist was an event. Sure there would inevitably be shots that were duds, but they were nevertheless a physical record of those moments. They didn't get deleted: just put away.

The ultimate irony of photography is that the imperfect pictures are often the ones that most evocatively capture a memory. They amuse us because they freeze stupid expressions on our faces. They delight us when we see our hideous dress sense, naff haircuts, or are reminded of the awful décor in our homes that we had long forgotten.

The really pleasant thing about returning to film photography is the low cost of equipment today. Those iconic cameras I once coveted, but could never afford, are available today for tiny prices.

So, my wife and I are now the proud owners of 35mm film cameras. From now on, our photography will be a planned event, and not an afterthought. We will take the effort to photograph our typical activities. We will take the time to study and think about the things we see through the lenses of our cameras. We will anticipate and look forward to the collection of prints, and keep each one - good or bad. We will collect memories of humdrum events, like a winter walk with the dog on the beach. We strive to again enjoy photography and photographs, as we did before digital imaging.


Original article

No comments: