The Nikon Coolpix AW100: My New Outdoor Companion

The Nikon Coolpix AW100 really complements my active outdoor lifestyle and my love of photography. I live on an island in the tropics and have so much opportunity to pursue active outdoor pursuits all year round but I need a camera that can withstand the knocks and abuse of my activities to accompany me and record my adventures.

The Nikon AW100 can be described as a rugged digital camera, a waterproof digital camera or even an all weather (AW) camera. However it is described, one thing is for sure, it is a go anywhere tough camera that can cope with being underwater, being dropped and being covered in mud and sand. These are the conditions that my camera copes with each and every week when it accompanies me on my snorkeling, sailing and biking pursuits.

I've had a rugged, waterproof Canon camera for a couple of years now and it has proven to be reliable and everything that I wanted for the price that I paid for it. Several new rugged digital cameras have hit the market this year and after reviewing them I decided the time was right for a new camera. I've had the Nikon AW100 for a month now and it has proven to be a great replacement for my trusty Canon Powershot D10.

The camera is waterproof to 33 feet, which is good for shallow scuba diving but gives me confidence in its water tightness for my snorkeling down to a few feet. It can withstand drops onto a hard surface from five feet which is an indication that it can withstand being handled by young children who always manage to drop things. It is also dust proof, ideal for the beach and can operate in temperatures down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit, ideal for any skiers or mountain climbers but not necessary for me in the tropics.

The camera comes with a 5x glass Nikor zoom lens for pulling in more distant objects and at the same time had focus on insects and plants from as close as one centimeter in macro mood in case you are into nature photography. It also has a very secure lock on the battery, card and connections compartment which pushes in and screws in for extra security to avoid opening at any time, especially the wrong time when you are in the water.

A 16 megapixel CMOS sensor is fitted, this sounds good but not entirely necessary in this standard of camera. Nikons VR (vibration reduction) technology is fitted to ensure sharp images especially if you are holding the camera with cold shaking hands on a ski slope or in a boat in choppy water.

The camera records full HD (1080p) movies with stereo sound so you can record and relive those down hill snowboarding runs and snorkeling adventures. This is one of the reasons that I am upgrading as my old camera only records video at H264 and I find that I am now recording video more than before.

There are several autofocus modes including face priority and subject tracking and nineteen scene modes including underwater. The scene modes preset your camera with the optimum settings whether your are underwater, taking sunsets or at an indoors party. As with most point and shoot cameras this camera does not allow you to adjust the settings manually for different conditions, that is why it has a good range of scene modes.

The AW100 also features an Action control which allows one hand control over assigned functions, even when wearing gloves. Another feature, and new to me, is a built-in GPS and an ecompass. Your position at the time of each photo is recorded as are your movements even when the camera is turned off. By uploading your pics and data to a computer with ViewNX2 software you will be able to retrace your route.

In the short time that I have owned this camera I have put it through its paces, not directly but as a consequence of being with me when I am out having fun. The camera has been underwater, dropped in the sand, covered in mud and banged around on downhill mountain bike rides but still looks and works as brand new. The Nikon Coolpix AW100 is my new and trusted outdoors companion and should serve me well for the adventures ahead.

Phil Walken is a Nikon Coolpix AW100 user and outdoor adventurer. Visit WaterproofCamerahq for more information and reviews of waterproof and rugged cameras.


Original article

No comments: